It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:33 am
Welcome to helbreath.info, a community for all things Helbreath!
Register today to gain access to post, download pak edits, source files, and much more.

Deutsch Espanol Francais Italiano Portugues Russian Arabic Japanese Korean Simplified Chinese

helbreath.info is closing down in 2018
(read more)

Post subject: What is Helbreath?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:29 am 
Foruming the Trolls
Foruming the Trolls

Thanks given: 0 times
Helbreath

Helbreath is a massively multiplayer online role playing game (MMORPG [1]) game for the PC, designed by a Korean company called Siementech co, Ltd. Initially launched as a Korean-only game, it was soon reintroduced as Helbreath International; serving as an open-beta for the general public. The open-beta was short lived, however. Switching from open-beta to monthly recurrent charges is the main contributing factor toward the success of smaller private servers. Helbreath USA was later franchised to iEntertainment, which had limited success. There are many other official servers such as Helbreath China, Helbreath Japan, Helbreath Asia, Helbreath Taiwan, as well as countless private servers which started popping up after the release of the server files to the public in 2002.

The rise of private servers

The first memorable private server was HBOwnage, followed by HBMog, and later HBX. HBX revolutionized the private server industry by having a very close relationship between players and administrative staff. HBX was originally based off of files leaked from HBOwnage. Owned by 'lilmage' (later known as Q, or Zero), HBX opened many doors for the rest of the private server world. Soon after launching Zero obtained his first sources. Zeros contribution to private servers started with giving server files to Drew, who launched HBSpiel. For quite a long time the private server industry was split between the two. Zero started working on the sources, bringing old code up to date, emulating functionality and splicing other functionality from future releases. He was also the first to start a development team who made regular releases to the public. Another large contributor was HelbreathSS.tk, whose site contained in-depth step-by-step instructions on how to run a private servers, along with the files and resources required. HelbreathSS later became more known for their private server list, which was kept up to date in the beginning, but later became a pool of dead links and corrupt servers. From this branch Outpost (unadvised.org) sprung up, fresh with new ideas and a large community to back them. Outpost quickly became a war zone, with major contributors from different servers expressing their differences, spreading stolen files, and generally causing problems. Nemesis, the host of outpost, later stole the domain and forum for their own, causing great controversy. Nemesis had many rivals, and took a very barbaric approach to dealing with competitors. Instead of releasing new things, or making their server better, they decided to hack and DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service, fping) the others, quickly gaining a foothold in the face of rock that was the Helbreath community. Extasis shared this approach, and caused a great deal of drama for even the biggest of players. Many people stole the works of the contributors to HB and claimed it as their own, pawning it off with minimal customization, and claiming they possessed sources when they did not. Another dirty player was HBNetOverlords, who, like Extasis and Nemesis, DDoSed any and all competition.

Gameplay

The basics of Helbreath include player-versus-environment combat, player-versus-player combat, questing and socializing.

New players start out as a traveler in the Beginners Zone allowing them to pick which town they wish to play for. A player has until they reach level 19 before they must decide whether to acquire citizenship in Aresden, or Elvine otherwise they continue to stay capped at level 19. Once a player has gained citizenship, they may choose between status as either a civilian (enemy town members can not attack you however monsters can attack), or combatant (enemy and monsters can attack you). This choice will reflect their PvP status amongst other players in the world.

During the first few levels you are given gold to help you out, however once you get past level 20 you no longer are given gold.

Each level gained will allocate 3 additional stat points, which the player will use to increase stats. Stat points also determine your skill levels.

Stat Attribute
STR (Strength) Increases physical damage, maximum stamina, maximum load, maximum health, allows usage of heavier weapons and armor.

DEX (Dexterity) Increases accuracy, dodge, defense.

VIT (Vitality) Increases maximum health, health regeneration, maximum stamina, stamina regeneration, physical and magical damage absorption.

INT (Intelligence) Increases maximum mana, casting probability, allows learning of better magic spells.

MAG (Magic) Increases maximum mana, mana regeneration, magical damage, magical hitting probability, magic resistance.

CHR (Charisma) Decreases cost of vendor items, allows one to become a Guild Master.

Upon reaching the maximum level of 180, it is traditional that the player will receive a special-issue set of gear, otherwise known as Dark Knight or Dark Wizard equipment. This gear can only be equipped by the player that earns it. The character is also given a weapon or wand depending on their stats, this item can be upgraded with majesty points. Majesty points also allow the person to get other items and change their stats.

Nations

* Aresden
* Elvine
* Traveler

Player-versus-player combat

Helbreath has two cities named Aresden and Elvine. These city are hostile towards eachother. This allows for a very open combat setting; allowing and encouraging enemy combatants to attack at-will.

When a player kills enemy combatants, enemy kill points are gained (1 point per valid kill). These points may be exchanged for special items. All these items are part of a Hero set.

It is also optional for combatants of the same nation to attack each other. However, if a friendly player actually goes through with killing another friendly player, a penalty is incurred by the offending character being given a player kill point and being made an enemy to everyone until their player kill points are reduced to 0. Killing people from the same town gives "negative reputation" which has an impact on righteous and Kloness weapons.

The following list summarizes essential player-versus-player mechanics:

* Civilians are players that will not be afflicted by PvP attacks. Available until level 100.
* Combatants may openly engage in PvP with any enemy combatants and fellow town members.
* Heroes are players which have killed a great number of enemies. They receive special armors as a reward.
* Crusades are full-scale wars between every player of both nations. Some servers such as Helbreath USA do this weekly. The objective is to destroy the shields protecting the enemy town while building a base in the Middlelands (a map) to create a meteor storm that attacks the enemy town. The winner is determined by the town that successfully destroys the enemy’s town.
* Castle Siege consist of three battlegrounds that alternate. Battlefield, where both towns are against each other and have to destroy the enemy’s buildings before the other town. Castle, where the winning town from the previous week has to defend the Castle map form the attacking town.

Economy

The economy of Helbreath varies widely from server to server. In general, all items may be openly traded with any other player, allowing for diversity in every aspect. The only exceptions to trading are Hero Armor, Dark Knight or Wizard Armor, and Dark Knight or Wizard weapons. Many items that are dropped by monsters include a primary and secondary attribute, allowing for a variety of uses. Whether a player can equip an item depends on its weight. (Example: with 90 strength, a player may equip an item which weighs up to 9000 "stone" as it is called in the game (1 strength per 100 "stone").)

System requirements

* Pentium II 400 Mhz;
* 128MB RAM;
* Download or CD;
* 56K6 MODEM or better;

Future

Helbreath II

Helbreath is an old game and its community shrinks. Helbreath needs to be freshened up. Many private servers attempt to do this, but none has really succeeded in doing so. Helbreath II was the first private server that attempted to extensively modify the game client and server with (many) additional features - some of which are adopted sparingly across "normal" private servers. Features which include interactive boss monsters, experience bar, mail system, health bars for monsters, classes, abilities, new pvp, battleground and new skills. The Helbreath II team stopped developing the game after a while. The source of this game was never publically released, so no one was able to continue developing it.

The Helbreath community doesn't have many experienced programmers. Any of them that are beginning or experienced programmers either don't have the time or willingness to develop something or are incapable of doing so. This seriously prevents Helbreath from growing.

Helbreath III (3D)
This article is a stub. You can help HelbreathWiki by expanding it.

What Helbreath really needs is a 3D version with new features, a new storyline. It's content completely overhauled. Since it is unknown if anyone has any of the 3D models that were used to render the 2D Helbreath graphics, it is really time extensive to build such a game.

However, not publically known and certainly not official: some people are working on Helbreath III (the name is also unofficial). Features are kept secret, but here are a few of them which are known.

* Full 3D environment;
* Unicode support;
* Supports any screen resolution;
* Widescreen support;

The game is still based on the original Helbreath and the story continues the old storyline. The battle will still be on between Aresden and Elvine, but in a different setting and for different reasons.

Credits goes to : http://www.helbreathx.net/wiki/index.ph ... =Helbreath

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:32 am 
Web Master
Web Master

Thanks given: 15 times

Character: kinger
Town: Traveler
Helbreath Servers: Helbreath International
Helbreath USA
Helbreath Chaos
Helbreath Underlord
Helbreath Rebirth
Helbreath World
moved to guides.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:45 pm 
Templar Knight
Templar Knight

uuhh duh helbreath is a big nasty smelling flame that comes outta your mouth when you wake up in the morning and they call it Helbreath because its as hot and stanky as hell and its a breath......DUUUHHH

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:37 pm 
War Beetle
War Beetle

99% if the article come from wikipedia? :doubt: :doubt:

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:00 am 
Foruming the Trolls
Foruming the Trolls

it is ... and notice that they are developing hb2 and 3 ? lol .. dont think it will ever release :D

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:11 pm 
Player From The Ages
Player From The Ages

i have a feeling that the people working on it are crazy hermit koreans who live in a black room with no windows or bed and a computer on the floor so they occupy their time working on HB3
and i think that their will be a release of HB3 but it will crash and burn because HB has such a small fan base compared to games like L2, and those ppl will love it but the WOW and L2 players will just stick to the game they have becase Hb would just a similar rip of of those. i like the idea that some day HB could be 3d but i thin that alot of ppl like th old 2d look.

Also Hb is a 2d game and requires very little of a computer to run smoothly and yes the faster the computer the smoother it runs, but for the most part you can run around without lag at 20 fps (and lower then that) if HB went 3d then more ppl would lag and ppl would quit due to not beig able to really "do" anything without being brutally murdered. so personally i think we would lose a huge player base if HB went 3d

not that my comp cant handle it... but there are plenty of ppl who probably couldnt...

1.3d top poster
2.PA39 Elite Plate

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:21 pm 
Templar Knight
Templar Knight

Thanks given: 3 times

bringing hb to 3d would ruin it. This pvp system is based on a 2d scale, Right now its one of the greatest pvp systems ive ever seen and bumping to it 3d would only mess it up.
Games like runescape can afford to switch fro m2d to 3d because the interface and actions are so simple. Anyways for a game as old as helbreath the graphics are pretty damn good.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:51 pm 
Foruming the Trolls
Foruming the Trolls

Atmosphere wrote:
i have a feeling that the people working on it are crazy hermit koreans who live in a black room with no windows or bed and a computer on the floor so they occupy their time working on HB3
and i think that their will be a release of HB3 but it will crash and burn because HB has such a small fan base compared to games like L2, and those ppl will love it but the WOW and L2 players will just stick to the game they have becase Hb would just a similar rip of of those. i like the idea that some day HB could be 3d but i thin that alot of ppl like th old 2d look.

Also Hb is a 2d game and requires very little of a computer to run smoothly and yes the faster the computer the smoother it runs, but for the most part you can run around without lag at 20 fps (and lower then that) if HB went 3d then more ppl would lag and ppl would quit due to not beig able to really "do" anything without being brutally murdered. so personally i think we would lose a huge player base if HB went 3d

not that my comp cant handle it... but there are plenty of ppl who probably couldnt...

rofl , yeah.. those korean hide inside a small dark room ....

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:20 pm 
Player From The Ages
Player From The Ages

i like how informative and opinionized my post was and you focus on the hermit koreans

1.3d top poster
2.PA39 Elite Plate

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:17 am 
Player From The Ages
Player From The Ages

I know I am digging an old topic but just found this video on youtube, it tells stuff about the game and theres some interviews of the actual makers of the game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=244oRCjz ... re=related

enjoy, i think it's great vid :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:49 am 
Foruming the Trolls
Foruming the Trolls

BuddyBoy wrote:
I know I am digging an old topic but just found this video on youtube, it tells stuff about the game and theres some interviews of the actual makers of the game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=244oRCjz ... re=related

enjoy, i think it's great vid :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

still rem those old good times.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:44 pm 
Very Important Person
Very Important Person

What the heck, Enter is back!!!

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:52 am 
Foruming the Trolls
Foruming the Trolls

74 wrote:
What the heck, Enter is back!!!

heh :P , im here always, just that i dont got much time to play games ^^

Ps: still playing hb eh ?

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:20 am 
Very Important Person
Very Important Person

Well yeah, I started playing HB USA recently after a looong break (5 years). I didn't even try HB World, but it just looks way too crazy for me. Welcome back and if you somehow do end up bored, you could always post some fun stuff on my website. :D

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:45 pm 
Foruming the Trolls
Foruming the Trolls

isnt HB usa p2p? or was it going to F2p?

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:49 am 
Very Important Person
Very Important Person

It's f2p now but with a few limitations (unless you p2p).

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:18 pm 
Foruming the Trolls
Foruming the Trolls

74 wrote:
It's f2p now but with a few limitations (unless you p2p).

oh ok.. lol after so many years, they actally think of f2p BUT with limitations.. wth lol..

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:31 am 
Very Important Person
Very Important Person

The limitation that would keep people from playing can, however, be avoided.

OfflineProfile