It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:11 pm
Welcome to helbreath.info, a community for all things Helbreath!
Register today to gain access to post, download pak edits, source files, and much more.

Deutsch Espanol Francais Italiano Portugues Russian Arabic Japanese Korean Simplified Chinese
Please remember to vote!
Helbreath Top 100 Helbreath Top 10

Post subject: Read this if you're planning on creating your own server
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:55 am 
Giant Ant
Giant Ant

Thanks given: 0 times
There are a bunch of guides on how to create a server but I realized there's none that will help you create a successful one.
The below paragraph is really something that'll help every one of you.

As an advice, before you get a coder, test them. It doesn't matter if your plan is to create a low-rate server where you don't have to code anything, or a high-rate server with lots of new functions. Unless you find an apt coder you won't last long.
On the other hand if you're a self-proclaimed coder and would like to create a server, learn to code beforehand (please, read the bottom of this post). The ability to copy+paste something off the net isn't coding - it's plagiarism.
With luck it's still possible to create a good server even without knowing how to code, but you can't really call it your server at that point. It's someone elses.

In the past there were many successful server that didn't have a coder at all. The 'owner' just took a bunch of code snippets off the net and threw them in the client - that was it.
But the reason why they were popular is because back then HB had nearly ten thousand players across all servers. Even if you didn't do anything special you'd still find some players that would like your server. We don't have that many players anymore.
If you want to create a server (especially a successful one) you'll have to know what you're doing. This is not limited to just the coder - the webmaster has to know what he's doing. So does the in-game GMs. Even the so-called 'owner' has to have something to bring in (usually it's connections; knowing the right people; advertising properly; etc.) - otherwise it'll be hard to get any apt staff.

For the self-proclaimed coders, and wanna-be coders:
Here are some simple tips for learning C++. In fact anyone can learn enough C++ to fix bugs and create new stuff in less than a month if you just follow the below instructions.

This is actually how most coders in Helbreath got started. Some did go to class and read books, but the majority didn't.
Code:
- C++, the code used for Helbreath, isn't hard. To learn enough of the language (C++) to create a Helbreath server, all you really have to do is copy+paste the existing code snippets on the net.
- You'll probably get a few errors here and there but usually all you have to do is read what the error says BUT DON'T ASK FOR HELP IMMEDIATELY.
         - Before you ask for help, you should spend at least an hour or two trying to fix the error yourself. It's really not that long since you'd likely wait a couple of days for a reply on a forum.

- Just remember that while you're copy-pasting the codes, read through them - even if you don't understand it at all.
- Do it enough and you'll learn it automatically without opening any books or going to a class.

But don't expect that just because you've repeatedly done the above, you'll suddenly be able to code something completely new.

- You do, at this point KNOW c++, but in order to create something new yourself, you'll have to experience.
- Think about what you'd like to do (for example if you want to increase the poison damage), press CTRL+F (search) and look for phrases that have something to do with it (in this case look for 'Poison'). Once you find a line that has the words 'Poison' and 'Damage' or 'dmg' together, try changing it. Test it in-game and if it works, move on. If it doesn't, try again.

- Make all the changes you can think of and after you've done them all (ideally you should aim to change at least 10-15 different things), you should be able to code something simple.

-TheFire

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Read this if you're planning on creating your own server
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:29 pm 
Giant Ant
Giant Ant

Thanks given: 3 times

Character: Karolinka, Jazon
Town: Aresden
Helbreath Servers: HB Polska
HB Poland
HB United
Helbreath World
HB Nemesis
PSN ID: siwanetzu
Steam Profile: siwanetzu
Good post, saved in my bookmarks.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:51 pm 
Centaurus
Centaurus

Character: LifeX
Well said, TheFire.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:58 am 
Snake
Snake

Thanks given: 2 times

Character: Shisue
Helbreath Servers: Helbreath Barbarian
Helbreath Olympia
Helbreath Argentina
Helbreath Legion
Just how you said. That's how it is.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:06 pm 
Slime
Slime

Character: Daryl
Helbreath Servers: HBRND
Original HBX
"As an advice, before you get a coder, test them."

I have myself, will that work? =P

Anyone that's been in the Helbreath community for a extended period of time, should know who I am, After all it was "Hypnotoad, Archangel, KLKS and (myself)" that originally was developing the first private HB servers on the net.

=P

but on a serious note.. very good post, and it does make bring to light many points in developing and hosting a Helbreath server, or any server for that matter. Back in the day we had many "For the self-proclaimed coders, and wanna-be coders" and for each one of them I gave them a "E" for effort, however most of them just wanted in the team to get the source code, or to have the name. So as the post says, Test the person that wants to be your "coder" and make sure they know what the heck they are doing. Anyone can copy and paste, but it takes true dedication to learn the source, and be able to program it efficiently and successfully.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:18 am 
Giant Tree
Giant Tree

Thanks given: 5 times

Character: Life[GM]
Town: Traveler
Sure do know yea. :) one of the legends in helbreath. Welcome back around :)

Daryl wrote:
"As an advice, before you get a coder, test them."

I have myself, will that work? =P

Anyone that's been in the Helbreath community for a extended period of time, should know who I am, After all it was "Hypnotoad, Archangel, KLKS and (myself)" that originally was developing the first private HB servers on the net.

=P

but on a serious note.. very good post, and it does make bring to light many points in developing and hosting a Helbreath server, or any server for that matter. Back in the day we had many "For the self-proclaimed coders, and wanna-be coders" and for each one of them I gave them a "E" for effort, however most of them just wanted in the team to get the source code, or to have the name. So as the post says, Test the person that wants to be your "coder" and make sure they know what the heck they are doing. Anyone can copy and paste, but it takes true dedication to learn the source, and be able to program it efficiently and successfully.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:34 am 
Giant Ant
Giant Ant

Thanks given: 1 times

Character: MOG
Helbreath Servers: International
Japan
USA
HBMOG
Daryl wrote:
After all it was "Hypnotoad, Archangel, KLKS and (myself)" that originally was developing the first private HB servers on the net..

You don't say?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:18 pm 
Unicorn
Unicorn

Character: Zero
Helbreath Servers: Helbreath Xtreme
MOG wrote:
Daryl wrote:
After all it was "Hypnotoad, Archangel, KLKS and (myself)" that originally was developing the first private HB servers on the net..

You don't say?

You've been digging up some old threads. I didn't even see this one. Nice to know that years later Daryl still refuses to acknowledge that I started the HBx dev team and I was the one that was developing the first HB sources long before any of them joined, and he had absolutely nothing to do with ORIGINAL HBX unlike his profile is saying. He asked me if he could use the name, then tainted it, and I made him change it to XtremeHB because of how badly he ran his server.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:11 am 
Giant Ant
Giant Ant

Thanks given: 1 times

Character: MOG
Helbreath Servers: International
Japan
USA
HBMOG
He forgot my HBMOG too. ;-)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:12 pm 
Unicorn
Unicorn

Character: Zero
Helbreath Servers: Helbreath Xtreme
Well, we all know Daryl is a moron. Those that know him know that well. He didn't know how to code and he just rode on the coattails of others.

OfflineProfile